What We Do
The Plumbing and Heating program is designed to give students a basic knowledge of plumbing and hydronic heating systems. Students who satisfactorily complete the program will be prepared for entry level plumbing and heating jobs, including a registered apprenticeship.
Successful students in this program have these academic opportunities available to them.
- Occupational Safety & Health (OSHA) 10 hour certification
- 300 hours credited toward the Vermont Plumbing Registered Apprenticeship Program
- Opportunity to test for the 1st year of the Vermont Plumbing Registered Apprenticeship Program
Embedded Academic Credit Areas
For a student who successfully completes this program, the Vermont Agency of Education provides for the following credits. Additional academic credit may be available based on sending school policies.
- 1 Science Credit
- 5 Elective Credits
Plumbing and Heating Students use these industry-recognized texts, although others might be used throughout the year.
- Plumbing and Heating (Second Edition)- Michael Joyce
- Modern Hydronic Heating (Third Edition)- John Siegenthalar
Recommended Reading Level
Textbooks and the majority of class texts in this course are written at the following grade level. The first number correlates to the grade level and the decimal refers to the monthly progress throughout the year. For example, an 11.3 would translate to an “11th grade reading level, approximately 3 months into the school year.”
- 12.0 (Plumbing and Heating)
- 11.8 (Modern Hydronic Heating)
Recommended Math Skills
Successful students in this program should expect to master these math skills. Previous preparation and training in these areas are critical for academic success in this program.
- Ohm’s law
- Pascal’s law
- Pythagorean theorem
- Using sine and cosine chart
- Fractions, decimals, and percentages
- Finding volume
- Using industry code charts
- Basic math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division)
CVCC Safety Exam
Every CVCC Program begins the year with a Safety Exam. Students are required to pass this safety exam before they can participate in program lab settings. For more information about these exams, contact the CVCC School Counseling Coordinator.
- Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) 10 hour certification
Instructor: Clifton Long
Phone: (802) - 476 - 6237 ext. 1189
Site Designer and Web Master: Matthew Binginot.